What to expect from a teeth whitening treatment?
You’ve decided to add a little sparkle to your smile. Getting whiter teeth professionally doesn't require you to visit the dentist anymore. Just pick a salon, book your appointment and have the therapist assess your current oral health and discuss the expected results. If your teeth are strongly discoloured, then multiple sessions may be necessary to give you that white smile. Either way, the result will be noticeable right away. Teeth whitening doesn't hurt and a typical treatment usually lasts anywhere between 20 and 60 minutes.
Good to know
- Teeth whitening works best on yellow, rather than grey gnashers
- Treatment is only suitable on natural teeth and can’t whiten dentures, crowns or veneers
- If you have white spots on your teeth, you might find that these become even whiter and noticeable with bleaching
- There’s no need to worry about pain. You may experience a little tooth sensitivity 24 hours after your teeth have been exposed to whitening gel. This should subside fairly quickly, and most dentists recommend a painkiller like ibuprofen if the pain gets too much.
- Most results last from six months up to two years, depending on your diet and lifestyle habits, making the cost-per-wear unparalleled!
The sciencey stuff
A lot of people worry that the process of teeth whitening can somehow damage or weaken the tooth enamel. Trust us, it doesn’t! Most cosmetic dentists actually use special ‘oxidizing agents’ such as hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide that whiten teeth from the inside, without removing tooth surface. As the active ingredient is broken down, oxygen enters the enamel and lifts stains for a whiter smile. No masking, no cover-ups. Simple.